Friday 27 July 2012

Up, Up and Away


In a few days I, along with my girlfriend/partner Clarissa and my new family shall be entering a vehicle approximately 63 feet in length, 19 feet high, weighing around 774,000 pounds and capable of speeds in excess of 590 MPH. I am, of course talking about an aircraft. Were it a land based vehicle, I might be less inclined to board it.

I have loved flying since I was a child. Holidays in the Canary Islands called for extended flights and as such, that meant we travelled on very large aircraft. I don’t mean large because I was all of 7 years old, I mean large as in it had three seats on either side of the cabin, with a row of 5/6 seats in the middle. On trip home, we had almost the entire back cabin to ourselves. Awesome.

I love flying since before these trips of course. I loved flying since I first realised I in fact were capable of flight myself. I’d dream that I stood on the top of a perfectly rounded, grassy hill top on the outskirts of a cityscape, giant branch laden tree behind and would begin my run up. I’d jog, then dash, then sprint and before I knew it, I was airborne. Arms outstretched I would bank left and right, pull up and nose dive down. The clouds were always far above. I could reach a mid-level and then I’d wake up.
To this day the dreams I had of flight as a child are still steadfastly lodged in my memories. Memories that never happened…or did they?

On this occasion, I shall have to leave the flying to someone I hope and trust is well trained and vastly experienced in the art of aeroplane piloting. If for some reason he is unable to perform this duty, I shall have to step up. Although, I’m not entirely sure how many people I can fit on my wings.     


No comments:

Post a Comment