Thursday 18 October 2012

Dangerous Visions 2

Usually I'm quite complimentary about novels I've read, to the point I can be glowing and lack a real objectivity. Not this time.

I've been working my way through a variety of sci-fi shorts that I keep finding in a local book-store and have been delighted with my finds.

Authors from Issac Asimov to Robert A. Heinlein provide a timely, yet timeless outlook on the future of space, travel, the economy, agriculture and every other aspect of modern and not so modern life.

This collection of shorts- compiled by Harlan Ellison, endeavoured to bring together some of 'The' names in alternative fiction and have them create stories that honour the title. Stories that would bewilder, alarm and provoke controversy.

From what I've read, mainly in the introduction from Ellison himself, this was the case, though I can only imagine readers of speculative fiction, as it was often referred to, had less backbone when the stories were published than they do now.

You'd think, with writers such as Larry Niven, Philip K. Dick and Poul Anderson, there might be something in there that would spark a little zest. Only Dick's story- 'Faith of our Father's' contained anything close to the controversy requested.

Shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment