Saturday 19 May 2012

Near and Far

It's funny how far you can travel and still feel at home.

Brasil is large. Somewhat larger than the little Isle I left, granted, but it has much the same traits and idiosyncrasies that GB does.

I find myself, while a fish out of water, very much able to at least paddle to the deep end and back again without too much floundering.

Of course, my deep end at the moment extends to ordering uma agua com gas, por favor and giving the apologetic look when asked by the counter girl if I have any coins on me, rather than a R$50 note for a $10.06 purchase. This is a common look and as such, Internationally recognised. Sorry :-(

The sun is a nice change up from the dreary drizzle of the English moors and mid-lands. I find myself using sunscreen (not as often as I should, I am constantly reminded) and sweating- this is no real change, but it's through heat, rather than a surprising lack of physical exhaustion, that's nice.

I heard a touch of English a few days ago and while a younger me might have gone running for the familiar voice, the older me is content to stay afar from it now. Joyous in the knowledge that my confidence or at least my contented nature allows me to sit quietly and observe, rather than rush for the nation I left behind.

I like it here.

It helps that the football teams are blue/white and red/white striped, it helps that they drink tea- 'Chimarrao' (though I still don't), it helps that while the city numbers some 1.5 million inhabitants, you still feel able to walk a fair bit of it and not feel too monumentally lost and it helps having the love and support of a new family.

This is (cue over used line) 'a land of opportunity'. Really it is and it also helps that in less than two years time, I'll be at at least one World Cup match! Cue jealousy and raving mad football fanatical friends.

Sofa available, must buy own flights and tickets however.


No comments:

Post a Comment